Friday, September 2, 2016

36 Day To Go: Update on Chicago Marathon Training

Ahhh, not only is it getting so close to race day, but I also realized how long it has been since I have written about my training.   I know everyone has just been sitting on the edge of their seats in the anticipation of my post, so have no fear, it is finally here!  (Sarcasm in case you're wondering hehe)  But anyway, between work, the kiddos and of course training, oh and football season starting, I have not had much time for anything else.  I have managed to keep up with my miles, yey me, so here is a quick recap of what's been going on...
I had the rare opportunity to get some miles in with the hubster!
The Good
Despite my hectic schedule and lifestyle, I have yet to miss a training run.  I have made all my miles and even a few extra on those days I was just "feeling it" out there.  My speed work has been on point and I am definitely getting faster in my intervals.  Tempo runs have been pretty average, so I am very grateful for that.  And normally my schedule and training are not very conducive to me attending group runs, but I have joined three Moms Run This Town runs over the past few weeks and I even got to run with my husband this past Monday.  Running is always better with friends!
MRTT mamas and our attempt to be sassy
The Bad
The heat and humidity continue to be a factor and have slowed me down on my mid to long distance runs outside.  Waking up at 4am to run or having to do it on my lunch break in the heat of the day has not be particularly fun but necessary with my schedule.  My long runs have been baaaaaad (I'll explain more below) and I'm starting to come to terms with the fact my 4th attempt at a BQ may not happen.  But I'm not completely losing hope or giving up, though.
Dear Summer, I am so over you, please go away!
The Ugly
Like I mentioned above, the weather has been absolutely brutal!  This may quite possibly the hottest summer I have experienced since moving to Florida in 2006!  Of course I have never trained this early in the summer time, so I'm sure that has something to do with it too.  I have been completely bombing my long runs, they have totally chewed me up and spit me out making me question my goals.  My body is really starting to feel the effects of all the training and I'm needing much more foam rolling, mobility and flexibility work and rest (which is a luxury) these days.  And probably my biggest struggle these last two weeks, in fact pretty much this whole training cycle, has not necessarily been the weather, my schedule or my body.  It has been my mental game.  I know what I am capable of, but it's as if I'm holding myself back and succumbing to all my excuses.  Maybe I have just gotten so used to "failing" that it seems comfortable to me.  I absolutely DESPITE the thought of that, but I'm struggling to fight through it.
Spending time with my best friend, the foam roller!
Moving Forward
I can't believe there's just a little over a month until race day, it came up quick!  I have one more long run, some mid distance runs along with speed work and then it's tapper time.  So now is the time to get focused and push through til the big day.  So here is what I am working on as marathon training comes to an end...

I'm going to continue to focus on my strengths, which are speed work and mid-distance tempo runs.  I'm adding in more mobility training and plan to hit up Yoga at least once a week.  I will try to get to more group runs since those make it all so much more enjoyable.  And though I am a (strength) coach myself, I know I should never stop learning, so I have sought the help from other coaches.  I received some great advice from a friend of mine who is seasoned runner/run coach. She was very insightful as well as uplifting.  With her great advice and the advice of my husband (and fellow strength coach), I know my biggest thing to work on from here on out is my confidence.  So I am hopping off the struggle bus and giving these last few weeks of training my all.  I am equipped to handle whatever comes my way race day and one thing I know for sure is I will give it everything I have and leave it all out on the course!

No comments:

Post a Comment