Monday, August 15, 2016

Week 11: My Legs HATE Me

What a week this has been!  After my 20 miler from the week before, my training program tapers out for the next two weeks before another long run.  So I got a little excited and spent some time going hard in the weight room and hitting up some extra hill work.  By the time Saturday rolled around, however, I was reminded why I stick to the plan during marathon training.  My legs were DEAD!  I still managed to knock out my 8 miler to close out the week, but it weren't pretty.  Here is a recap of my 11th week of marathon training and why my legs hated me so much this week...

Monday: Spinning + Lower Body Strength
Like I mentioned above, without a long run planned for another two weeks, I felt like I had the green light to go ham on a lower body workout.  I typically shy away from heavy lower in general, especially during marathon training.  But I have been digging on how much stronger my legs are feeling with the added strength training (not to mention my booty gains) so I figured why not push it a little before my spin class.  Back squats, dead lifts, RDL's, single leg take off's, I was having a good ole time!  And beleive it or not, my legs were not terribly sore that day or the next (but stay tuned).

Tuesday: Speed Work [Mile Repeats] 6 miles Total
Despite my big leg workout the day prior, my legs didn't feel too bad.  My hamstrings were a little tight and I could feel some soreness creeping up in my quads, but other than that, I was pretty good to to.  So I hopped on the treadmill for my scheduled speed work.  I knocked out an easy warm up mile at around 8:30m/m then went right into my mile repeaters (with a 400 RI) which went like this:
Mile 1 - 6:37
Mile 2 - 6:31
Mile 3 - 6:26
I did a 1.25 mile cool down which took about 10 minutes and ended up with about 6 miles total.  I felt freaking amazing after crushing the speed work.  That was until the soreness from that workout and the day before started setting in later that day!

Wednesday: Total Body Strength + Taught Yoga
My legs were pretty unhappy with my by Wednesday so it was foam rolling and mostly upper body strength.  Later that night, I taught yoga but since I typically teach off the mat not much yoga for me.  I could really have used it though!

Thursday: Naked Run 6ish Miles
I just couldn't get motivated to run that morning.  I was having a pity party because I was tired, my legs were sore, it's boring and lonely on my treadmill and blah blah blah.  So I got some work done instead and decided to knock out my run on my lunch break.  I forgot my watch, so I had to run "naked" which I have actually grown to really like.  My legs were so tired that I felt like I was hardly moving.  That along with the insane heat that time of day made for an interesting run.  I kept telling myself that one more mile should loosen up my legs and I'll find my rhythm.  But after 6ish miles and I was still so darn tired and sore, I figured that would be a good time to call it a day.  It wasn't a great run but I got it done.  And it was time to foam roll!

Friday: Upper Body Strength + Hill Repeats [12x.10mile]
Hunter took the boys to school so I could sneak in a quick upper lift sesh before heading out to run hills.  We invited several of our athletes from the gym to come do hill repeats with us as a last hurrah for the summer.  We had 16 people show up ranging from 14 year old high school students to D1 collegiate athletes to 40 something year old stay at home moms!  Although hard work, The Hill (as we like to call it) was much more fun with such a great group of folks.  We even did 2 extra repeats and I wore the weight vest for one of them!  I love the challenge of running up that hill.  I feel it makes me stronger both physically and mentally.  My legs, however, had about enough of me pushing myself this week and felt as if they were filled with lead by Friday night!  Since it was Hunter and I's last Friday night together until the end of football season, we decided to enjoy a little bit of wine.

Saturday: 8 Dreadmill Miles
Come Saturday morning, I was regretting the wine, regretting the hills, regretting my speed workout, regretting lifting heavy legs, just regretting it all when I felt like a snail on the treadmill.  I had to really dig deep and push through on this one, not succumbing to my excuses. This certainly wasn't my worst mid-distance run of this training cycle but definitely not my best.  If anything, it taught me to train a little smarter from here on out.  I'm 54 days out from race day and now is not the time to get too creative and overzealous in my training.  I need to have good solid training runs and most importantly, stay healthy.  Yes, I will continue to push myself, that's just who I am and what I do.  But I vow to do a better job knowing when to pull back a little, foam roll and stretch more and take some rest if need be.

Sunday: Birthday Yoga
I am normally pretty lazy on Sundays (as far as structured exercise goes, it's hard to be lazy with 3 and 4 year old sons).  But when a dear friend of yours invites you to a private yoga class in honor of her birthday, you go!  It was so awesome getting to practice with my favorite Yogi and several of our friends!  What a neat way to celebrate your birthday by gathering those closest to you and doing what you love.  Our teach was absolutely amazing, the class was wonderful and exactly what I needed after a long, hard week of training!

No comments:

Post a Comment