Monday, May 9, 2016

My Journey In, Out, Then Back to the Triathlon

The first official race I ever participated in was a local 5k, the next race was just a few months later and was a sprint triathlon.  Yeah, I have a tendency to just go for stuff but I was like 23 so I had the time and energy, lol.  Any way, I was instantly hooked on tri's and did several more after that, long before I ever got into distance running.  For most of my 20's triathlons were my jam and I had hopes to one day finish an ironman!  I knew I would have my work cut out for me, but I am always up for a challenge.

In 2010, I decided I wanted to run a full marathon, without ever even running a half, yeah like I said I just go for things.  So I signed up, trained for and ran the Marine Corps Marathon.  It was one of the most amazing experiences in my life to date and all I could think was, "man I can do anything I set my mind to, so what's next...an ironman maybe!?!"

Well, nature had other plans for me, and less than two months after my first marathon, I found out I was going to be a mom!  My heart was so full but I knew my triathlon dreams would have to wait a little while now, especially when I found out I would become a mom again shortly after having my first son!  Yey for two under two!

During my pregnancies, I was pretty apprehensive to ride my road bike so I swam a little but mostly ran.  Shortly after having my sons (in 14 month's time), I was eager to get back into racing.  Since all I had pretty much been doing for the past two years was running (well that and changing diapers), I figured it would be best focus on distance running and I signed up for my first ever half.

I ran my first half when my youngest was 4 months old.  It was ugly but I did it and was anxious to do another.  So I did and got a huge PR from my first, then PR'ed again and again.  I then ran my first full marathon in 3.5 years in early 2014, and shaved over 30 minutes after my first one.  I was super excited about my progress and kept wanting to push myself.

Though my running obsession grew and I was the strongest I had ever been, I still felt there was something missing.  My poor bike continued to sit in the garage collecting dust and though I would swim some laps here and there, I just never made time for anything but running.  And though that saddened me, I just did not have the courage to pull the trigger and sign up for a triathlon.  It had been so long and I feared it would be too much of an undertaking for me.

That was until this past fall when an injury sidelined me from running and I was forced to take my cardio to the pool.  I swam almost every day and when not in pain, I would bike. When I was able to run again, I continued to keep up with my swimming and biking.  Before I knew it, I was training like a triathlete again!

So it was decided, I would do my first triathlon in like forever!  I picked one out, signed up and so began my journey back to triathlons...

Stay tuned for my next post, as I will describe my training and racing experience in the Spring Fling Triathlon Festival!

No comments:

Post a Comment