Friday, March 24, 2017

Actually Excited About My Time Off

I always say I'm going to scale back and take break.

"After this race, I'm done for a while..." are my famous last words.  Then when I miss my goal, I'm rushing to the computer, pulling out my credit card and signing up for my next one.  And just like that, when I said I had enough, I'm lacing up to go for another 20 miler training run the next weekend.

My husband would just roll his eyes whenever I tried to convince him (and myself) that this race would be my last for a while.  But who was I kidding, I already had another one in mind shortly thereafter.

What can I say, it has become an addiction.  There should be a support group for people like me but I'm sure we'd spend the whole time talking about our favorite races and agree to run them with each other.

In the past almost 10 years, I can only think of two times I have actually taken a full blown break from the pressure of training and racing.  The first was during my back to back pregnancies (my sons are 14 months a part).  Though I ran throughout and shortly after both, I did not race or do long distances for close to two years.  It was strictly to stay active and healthy, I obviously wasn't trying to PR at anything while preggers.  The second "break" I took from training was when I was injured about a year and a half ago.  I had to take about 6 weeks off of running, but was luckily able to swim, bike and lift during my recovery.

So yeah, pretty much other than that, I have been go go go.  Except for now...


I'm (FINALLY) taking a bit of a break and you know what, believe it or not, I'm perfectly ok with it. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm already having total race FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out, in case you didn't know), and some anxiety over "losing" my fitness (which I know will come back).

But I am REALLY looking forward to this much need little break, and here is why...

I Need It
I really just need a damn break.  I need a break physically from training.  I need a break mentally from all the stress and pressure I put on myself.  And I need a break emotionally from the disappointment of continually missing my one big scary goal (to BQ).  My body, mind and soul (as well as pocket book) will appreciate me taking this much needed break.

I'm Doing Something For ME
I am not ashamed or embarrassed to discuss why I will be resting over the next month.  It will be a little obvious when it's all said and done any way.  After losing and gaining close to 70lbs in my teens and 20's, then back to back pregnancies in my early 30's, my body has been through quite a bit of changes to say the least.  I have worked very hard on my fitness and body throughout the years and am very proud of how far I have come.  With that being said, we all have insecurities and I have chosen to do something about one (well a pair) of mine.  I've been wanting to do this for a while now and I am excited to be going through with it.  Plus now I have a great excuse to head over to Lululemon for some cute new tops and bras!

There's An End In Sight
Unlike an injury or illness, I know my timeline for recovery and when I can return to workouts.  Granted I will have to re-introduce running and lifting slowly back in, and it most likely will be a little humbling at first, at least I know when I can do it.  I should be (hopefully) back to my old self before I start marathon training this summer.

I Plan To Come Back Stronger
When I started racing again after having my sons, I was faster and stronger than ever before.  I made huge strides in such a short period of time and felt unstoppable.  Then a few years later, I endured my first major setback when I suffered an injury.  After almost two months off of running, it was a slow and daunting process to build my fitness back up.  I felt like I would never get back to where I was then BAM, I went out and rocked my first race back and every subsequent race after that Spring!  I was back again and this time stronger than before.  Keeping those two comebacks in mind, I'm heading into this rest period hoping to come back stronger than ever!

I Will Have Time To Prepare
I have been very open about my desire to BQ and how difficult of a journey it has been for me.  With ever failed attempt, I am left heart broken and defeated.  Yet I never seem to make any significant enough changes to my training plan, nutrition or even mindset in order to accomplish my goal.  I know that I am capable of so much more, I just can't seem to figure out how to make it happen.  Well now that I have some time to take a step back and reflect on my past, I feel I will be able to better prepare for the future.  So with three whole months before I began training for my next marathon and seven months before the big day, I have plenty of time to really focus on what it's going to take to go out and crush it this time.

Ya'll Will Get FREE Stuff
Since I won't be able to make all my obnoxious, self promoting gym mirror selfies, double thumbs up shots or runfies, I figured I would stay active on social media with running and training tips, throwback pics and of course GIVEAWAYS!!!  So stay tuned if you like free stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment