Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Week 8: Embracing the Process

Last week was week 8(ish) of marathon training.  I think.  I may have actually lost count of how long I have been training because it feels like it has been eternity.  But what I do know is that I now have 11 weeks to go, yikes!  In my post last week, I talked about ditching the excuses and working hard.  It worked for me and I had a great week of training last week.  My theme for this week, oh I'm trying to have a theme each week now BTW, is to try to enjoy the journey a little more.  This was especially important as I set out to run my longest distance of this training cycle with an 18 miler on Thursday.  I had a difficult time with my last two long runs so my goal for this one was, of course to push through and finish it strong, but to also enjoy it.  I have come a long way but I still have a ways to go, so I need to respect the process.

Monday: Spinning + Upper Body Strength
I have been feeling a little burnt out on teaching spinning. I have been doing it for over years now and it is especially tiring when I am training for a full.  But every time I get in there with my group, we have such a rocking time that I am so grateful to get to teach.  It also is great cross training, so I really can't complain.  Monday was no exception and I had an awesome time with my spin crew.  Though I usually do some leg and power exercises on Monday, I pulled back the reigns a little bit this week in preparation for my long run on Thursday.  All in all it was a fun and productive morning.

Tuesday: Easy Run [3 miles] + Core + "Speed Work"
Normally I do speed work on my treadmill on Tuesdays, but with the Achilles a little tight and my hamstring still somewhat tight also from the week prior, I thought it would be best to do an easy run. When my alarm clock went off at 5am, though I did NOT want to get up and run, at all!  But I reminded myself of my theme for last week (ditch the excuses) and my theme for this past week (enjoy the journey), I figured I owed it to myself and my commitment to get up and get going.  So I did an easy 3 miles with some core.  Definitely not ideal, but I felt it was what I needed that day and I accepted it for what it was.  Later that evening, I had actually considered making up for my mediocre run that morning by meeting up with my run group.  I was already dressed and ready to go when the group got canceled. So I suggested to my husband we go for a family walk around the neighborhood.  My 4 year old had other plans for our walk and wanted to run everywhere.  Of course his definition of a run is sprinting from here to there, and let me tell you, that kid is FAST!  So he certainly wore mommy out!

Wednesday: Upper Body Strength + Yoga
Wednesdays are my looooong days.  They start with work at 5am, a break to get the kids ready and off to school, work all morning, workout at lunch, work all afternoon, then I pick up the kids and head over to teach Yoga.  I'm pretty much non-stop from 5am until 9pm!  Honestly, it is pretty tiring.  Plus, I always get a little nervous the day before a long run, so this past Wednesday was especially exhausting!  But like my husband and I always say, this is the life we have chosen, so we embrace it, make it work and appreciate all it provides us with.  Managed to sneak in a light upper body work on my lunch break and some yoga poses with my class that night.

Thursday: Long Run [18 miles]
I approached this run with the most positive attitude I could muster.  I tried to convince myself I wasn't nervous, but I was definitely apprehensive.  Thanks to the insane heat and humidity, my long runs have been pretty rough and I expected this to be no different.  But not wanting to set myself up for failure and of course, honoring my theme for the week, I set out to just do the my best and try and enjoy it the best I can.  By no means was it great, in fact I'm still a ways a way from where I want and need to be.  But it actually did go much better than my previous long runs which was encouraging and promising.  Of course I had to hurry off to work as soon as I was done, so I had little time to sulk or celebrate the run anyway!

Friday: Upper Body + Core
I recovered really well from my long run.  Aside from slightly achy, restless legs Thursday night (due mostly to dehydration), I was actually feeling pretty good.  No major tightness or pain, even in the areas that have been periodically bothering me throughout training.  So yey for that!  But I still wanted to take it pretty easy in the weight room to give me body a little break, well that and I honestly just didn't have that much time.  So I squeezed in a quick little upper and core workout on my lunch break.

Saturday: Fun Run [6 miles]
Between work, the kiddos and being so focused on my training runs, I haven't been able to meet up with my Moms Run This Town group as much as I would like.  I had really been missing my girls and fun we have out on the trail.  Though I wouldn't get the run in that I want and need (as far as pace and miles go), and I would have to wake up earlier than I would prefer on like the ONLY day I ever get to sleep in, I knew the group run would be more than worth it.  And it certainly did not disappoint.  It was so awesome getting to meet up with my girls, we got in 6 miles and had tons of fun in the process.  I am definitely going to make an effort to get out to more group runs!  After a long week of work and training, it was nice to get to relax with the family out at the pool that afternoon then have a date night with the hubster that night!

Sunday: Rest Day
Sunday was a much needed rest day that was spent at the beach.  There wasn't a cloud in the sky, it was super warm and the water felt great.  The boys had so much fun splashing in the waves and playing in the sand.  There's nothing I love more in this world than seeing their smiling facing and hearing their laughter.  They are my whole entire world and I could not have imagined a more perfect rest day after such a crazy busy week!


No comments:

Post a Comment